OpenAI API Pricing Calculator
Welcome to the OpenAI API Pricing Calculator
Welcome to the OpenAI API Pricing Calculator! This powerful tool is designed to help you estimate the cost of using OpenAI’s cutting-edge API services for your unique needs.
Whether you’re an individual developer, a start-up, or a large enterprise, our calculator provides a simple and efficient way to understand the pricing structure and make informed decisions.
By simply entering your usage requirements, you can explore various pricing options and find the perfect fit for your project.
Save time and gain valuable insights with this user-friendly calculator, and harness the power of OpenAI API to elevate your applications and projects to new heights.
How to Use our OpenAI API Pricing Calculator
- Enter the number of words you want to generate.
- Select the base language model from the dropdown menu. Available options now include GPT-3.5 Turbo 1106 ($0.002/1k tokens), GPT-3.5 Turbo Instruct ($0.002/1k tokens), GPT-4 1106 Preview ($0.03/1k tokens), GPT-4 1106 Vision Preview ($0.03/1k tokens), GPT-4 ($0.06/1k tokens), and GPT-4 32K ($0.12/1k tokens).
- Enter the prompt length. The default value is 100, but you can adjust it based on your requirements.
- Click the “Calculate Price” button to get the estimated cost of generating the specified number of words.
The calculator takes into account the cost per token for each language model and the number of tokens required to generate the specified number of words.
It also considers the prompt length to provide an accurate estimate. Please note that the actual cost may vary depending on factors such as the complexity of the text and the specific pricing plans offered by OpenAI.
Calculations behind the OpenAI API Pricing Calculator
To estimate the cost of using the OpenAI API, we follow a series of mathematical calculations based on the number of words you want to generate, the prompt length, and the selected language model. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of the calculations:
- Calculate Tokens Per Word: OpenAI charges users based on the number of tokens processed. Since 1,000 tokens roughly equal 750 words, we calculate the tokens per word as follows:
tokensPerWord = 1000 tokens / 750 words
- Calculate Total Tokens: To determine the total tokens needed for generating the desired number of words, multiply the number of words by the tokens per word:
tokens = words * tokensPerWord
- Calculate Prompt Tokens: Since OpenAI also charges for the tokens used in the prompt, we need to consider the prompt length. Multiply the prompt length by the tokens per word:
promptTokens = promptLength * tokensPerWord
- Determine the Price Per Token: Depending on the chosen language model, the price per token varies. Assign the price per token for the selected model:
- GPT-3.5 Turbo 1106 and GPT-3.5 Turbo Instruct:
pricePerToken = 0.002 / 1000 tokens
- GPT-4 1106 Preview and GPT-4 1106 Vision Preview:
pricePerToken = 0.03 / 1000 tokens
pricePerToken = 0.06 / 1000 tokens
- GPT-4 32K:
pricePerToken = 0.12 / 1000 tokens
- GPT-3.5 Turbo 1106 and GPT-3.5 Turbo Instruct:
- Calculate the Total Price: To estimate the cost of using the OpenAI API, we need to consider both the tokens required for generating the desired number of words and the tokens used in the prompt. Multiply the sum of these tokens by the price per token:
totalPrice = (tokens + promptTokens) * pricePerToken
- Display the Estimated Cost: The tool then presents the user with the estimated price for generating the specified number of words:
Estimated price to generate X words: $totalPrice
Please note that these calculations are based on the information provided on the official OpenAI website, and the actual cost may vary depending on factors such as the complexity of the text and the specific pricing plans offered by OpenAI.
14 Interesting Statistics and Facts about OpenAI
To read more in-depth statistics, check out our whole article which covers all the most interesting statistics regarding ChatGPT.
- OpenAI API is powered by OpenAI’s most advanced language model, GPT-3, which has 175 billion parameters.
- The OpenAI API offers a wide range of applications, including natural language processing, code generation, translation, and content creation.
- GPT-3, the backbone of OpenAI API, was released in June 2020 and has since become a popular choice for various AI applications.
- OpenAI was founded in December 2015 by Elon Musk, Sam Altman, Greg Brockman, Ilya Sutskever, John Schulman, and Wojciech Zaremba.
- OpenAI’s mission is to ensure that artificial general intelligence (AGI) benefits all of humanity.
- In July 2020, OpenAI transitioned from a non-profit to a for-profit company with a capped return structure, known as OpenAI LP.
- OpenAI’s safety and policy research focuses on making AGI safe and driving the broad adoption of safety research across the AI community.
- The OpenAI API is used by a diverse set of clients, including businesses, researchers, and individual developers.
- OpenAI has collaborated with Microsoft, with the latter investing $1 billion to support OpenAI’s efforts in developing artificial general intelligence. Microsoft also became the exclusive cloud provider for OpenAI.
- OpenAI has released several AI models before GPT-3, such as GPT-2 and Codex, which have contributed to the development of the API.
- OpenAI’s GPT-3 model can generate human-like text and has the ability to understand context, making it a valuable tool for tasks like summarization, translation, and code generation.
- OpenAI API’s pricing is designed to cater to various user needs, with options for pay-as-you-go, monthly subscription, and custom plans for businesses and organizations.
- OpenAI has a strong commitment to AI ethics, ensuring that the usage of their API follows guidelines that prevent harmful and malicious applications.
- OpenAI’s research and advancements have had a significant impact on the AI community, inspiring other organizations to develop and deploy AI-powered solutions, ultimately driving innovation and growth in the field of artificial intelligence.